missionary plaque picture

missionary plaque picture

Monday, September 7, 2015

My Sister Tan Line is Outrageous

Hi family! 


We are coming to the close of another summer (and by that I mean the high is ONLY 105 degrees this week!) and I think I have the worst moddest-is-hottest tan I've had to this point in my young life. Haha attached is a picture of my feet, so if you're afraid of feet, I'm sorry. This is a once in a lifetime look I'm sporting as only a sister missionary can. 

It's like my upper arms are glowing. Just put that vanity on the altar of sacrifice ;) 

I forgot to write last week about the Turley family. We had decided that we wanted to do a little bit more finding through the members, so prayed and picked a few names off the ward directory. It led us to the Turley family, who invited us back for dinner and to give their family home evening lesson. What we thought was a simple visit to meet an active family and beg for  some referrals turned out to be totally a part of Heavenly Father's plan for this family. Over the course of the evening we figured out that Bro Turley had been struggling with going to church for a long time and that hearing the restoration from us was exactly what he needed. We have been going back each week to teach another lesson to them and their sons who are all preparing for missions. I have so much love in my heart for this good family and can't wait to see them reach their goal of the temple someday. I know we were meant to find this family and help them be more united in living the gospel. 

This week we taught Nate and Jori the word of wisdom and they are currently working really hard to keep it. In the middle of the lesson, Nate looked us in the eye and said, "have you ever been addicted to anything?" Uhhhhhh.... Long story short, we have given up all desserts and sweets in an effort to support them. We've made it through week 1 and so far, so good. They are making progress on their end and we have held our end of the bargain so far! :) 

It's been an interesting experiment giving up sweets for Nate and Jori. I hope I can keep it going for a very long time. It hit me this week that, to go on a mission you give up almost all your coping mechanisms. No phone calls to mom. No Netflix night. No going for a run by yourself with your headphones in. No hitting the gym, going on a date, or napping it off. And now no bowl of ice cream or chocolate chip cookie dough at the end of a long day. It really is just me, my companion, and the Lord, facing it together! A mission is designed so that, if you are being obedient, the way you face your challenges is on your knees in mighty prayer and in your scriptures. What an inspired exercise in turning to God! I feel so good and so free. 

I finished the Book of Mormon again this week and knelt and prayed to be reassured that it was true. I do this every time I finish the book. I stayed on my knees for a long time, and essentially told Heavenly Father, "if you tell me the Book of Mormon is not true, that it is not the word of God, I will give this all up. I'm willing to go whatever direction will bring me the very closest to you and if it is something other than this, I will do it." Now I know that sounds a little weird... But as I prayed I knew without a doubt that the Book of Mormon is true and that I am exactly where God needs me to be right now. The Holy Ghost is anxious to confirm this truth. 

One more cool story: we street contacted an older gentleman this week who said, "what are you girls doing tonight?" We smiled and said, "well, we're missionaries!" He asked, "are you Mormon?" When we said yes, he said, "I was thinking of converting to Mormon. One of my clients is Mormon and he's a great guy." We get to teach him a little about the Book of Mormom right there and set up a return appointment. We have high hopes! God is preparing people everywhere :) 

I love my mission with my whole heart. It is not easy but it is wonderful. I love the gospel of Jesus Christ that I get to proclaim every day. Nothing else can bring this kind of lasting joy! 
Love always, 
Sister Megan Browning

Oh yeah, we spearheaded a car wash proselyting activity this week. We had lots of nonmembers come and gave some church tours and sent out a referral!

 No Pday clothes, no problem :) 

Do you spy the member talking to the nice lady about the gospel? :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment