missionary plaque picture

missionary plaque picture

Monday, October 5, 2015

Why have I not learned Spanish?!

Whitney Ranch friends (from Megan's former area)

My Bestest Hafen family. I would take all the kids home with me if I could.


The Turleys! Minus bro Turley :( they told me to come back and ride their motorcycles after my mission. Bucket list!!

Nate and Jori. And baby Drew :)  We had an amazing last lesson together and they're in good hands :) I miss them!
*****
Hi family that I love so much!

Wasn't conference amazing?? I was going to ask if you were all "ponderizing" but you beat me to it! Those are awesome scriptures. Mine for the week is one that President Monson mentioned, Matthew
5:16. "let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your father which is in heaven." Siblings, what are your ponderizing scriptures?? The theme of conference for me was choosing to live so that the Spirit can be with you. It seemed like they really wanted us to up our game on seeking the Holy Ghost. At least that's what I took from it. :) I love President Monson so much and am so excited about the 3 new apostles. I know they're called of God!

And did you hear all the conversion stories that the speakers shared about themselves?? SO COOL!

The young man in Elder Holland's talk is actually a good friend of mine from my first area Robindale. We'd kept in touch once he left for BYUI and I'd heard from Sister Luke that he went back out to finish his mission. I recognized the story immediately because of the time he
told us the whole thing in great detail over a lunch of peanut butter sandwiches in his home. He told us, "I tell you this story with two requirements: you don't feel sad for me, and you share it with  
you think it will help." It made me cry to see his story reach and help millions of people all over the world. I think that's exactly what he wants. :) His amazing mom does deserve every bit of praise
Elder Holland gave her.

This last week feels like 6 in one. Short of riding a rollercoaster, whitewashing an area is the most exciting, exhilarating, crazy thing! I love it so much! Sister Porter is from Idaho as well! She has been out for 6 months and is a new STL with me. She's 23, a trained therapist, and engaged to be married when she gets home. And basically just one of the best missionaries I know. Her and I have very similar personalities- she's like a more loving, graceful and wise version of me. Haha :) we work really well together and are having so much fun.

For example.... When we moved into our apartment, there was all kinds of fun leftovers from previous sisters (I now have a new wardrobe) and this was the first thing I found:

"Ooh. Ahh. That's it, I'm not going." --the Grinch



Then Sister Porter tried it. Ooo la la! 

Because of conference weekend we still haven't met a lot of the members, but the ones we have met have been very supportive. Very humble, awesome, salt-of-the-earth people. We're going to be working with them to improve relationships a lot. Work was happening before we got here but it seems like the area was ready for a change of pace. 

So let me explain "east Las Vegas." Our area covers from Nellis to Treeline and from Vegas Valley to Charleston, if you have a map. When I was in Temple View YSA this area was just a small postage stamp in a much bigger area that took in Sunrise, Central, and East Las Vegas stakes. I haven't been in this zone before, temple view is considered sunrise stake, but I do know a couple of the members that have YSA age children at home. It's pretty ghetto in some places and full of TONS OF PEOPLE. Basically my dream area. I've used more Spanish here than ever and just wish I would have taken that darn class in high school or BYU! It would really be coming in handy right now! 

We're teaching an older man named Glenn who finished reading the Book of Mormon this week! He also came to all the sessions of conference! He is so ready for baptism. The stake president (whose home I skyped from last Mother's Day) was at the stake center with us for each session- he told all the missionaries that he felt a prompting that there was someone who needed us and he would accompany anyone to a lesson between or after sessions. So we introduced him to Glenn and were able to have a great lesson with him in President Timothy's office about repentance. It meant a lot that, with all the demands on his time, and I'm sure just wanting to be with family, he made a little time for some missionaries and their investigators. :) 

I love my area, my companion, I love the feeling of hitting the ground running and learning fast, I love all the opportunities ahead... I just love my mission and I'm going to squeeze every last drop of goodness out of it that I can! I'm more exhausted than ever and happier than ever. This is the joy that comes in little bursts whenever we share the gospel and can permeate our lives as we live it. The speakers in conference each testified of this joy and I want to spend the rest of my life seeking it and spreading it. Life's too short not to be happy and grateful! I love you and hope you have a wonderful week! 

Love, 
Sister Megan Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment